How to choose the correct size mobile field shelter
It is important to take into account the size and number of animals you own when choosing a mobile field shelter. Opting for a shelter that is too large could make it an unwelcoming environment requiring unnecessary maintenance, and something that is too small could make space difficult for animals who share. You need to find the right balance of usability, functionality and cost.
British Horse Society Guidelines
The British Horse Society offers guidelines on the recommended size for a mobile field shelter based on animal size and number. To accommodate one average sized horse, the minimum dimensions recommended is a shelter of 3.0m – 3.6m (10′-12′) wide. If you are planning on sheltering more than one animal per field shelter, add an extra 1.5m (5′) onto the width of the structure.
Of course these recommendations may not be right for your specific situation and can be influenced by many variables. You may have one animal who doesn’t like sharing or who blocks the entrance to the shelter so others can’t get in or out. You know your animals better than anyone else so you will have to judge what will work best and they will be most comfortable in.
Colt stables offers a number of standard mobile field shelter dimensions that you can choose from based on the BHS recommendations. To give you a rough idea of the mobile field shelter size you need, here is a Colt Stables product guideline based on animal type and number:
- 1 small pony – 3.6m x 3.6m (12’ x 12’)
- 2 small ponies – 5.4m x 3.6m (18’ x 12’)
- 3 small ponies – 7.2m x 3.6m (24’ x 12’)
- 4+ small ponies – 10.9m x 3.6m (36’ x 12’)
- 1 large pony – 3.6m x 3.6m (12’ x 12’)
- 2 large ponies – 5.4m x 3.6m (18’ x 12’)
- 3 large ponies – 7.2m x 3.6m (24’ x 12’)
- 4 large ponies – 10.9m x 3.6m (36’ x 12’)
- 1 medium horse – 3.6m x 3.6m (12’ x 12’)
- 2 medium horses – 7.2m x 3.6m (24’ x 12’)
- 3 medium horses – 10.9m x 3.6m (36’ x 12’)
- 1 large horse – 5.4m x 3.6m (18’ x 12’)
- 2 large horses – 7.2m x 3.6m (24’ x 12’)
- 3 large horses – 10.9m x 3.6m (36’ x 12’)
All of our mobile field shelters include a 2.4m (8’) wide opening as standard but this can be increased or decreased if required – perfect for encouraging horses to enter the shelter and stopping a dominant horse from blocking others in or out. The standard depth of our mobile field shelters is 3.6m (12’) which offers plenty of shelter space.
The BHS recommends a covered shelter height of a minimum of 2.8m (9’). Colt’s mobile field shelters have a standard height of 2845mm (9′ 4’’) to the ridge and 2235mm (7’4’’) to the eaves, meaning our mobile field shelters are suitable for accommodating even the largest horse.